Thursday, February 16, 2012

A week of bad firsts...

Vivi and I started not feeling well the week before Daddy's birthday. I threw up 10 times in two hours the Thursday before, and then threw up twice more the next night. I acted and said I felt fine the next day so it was weird that at midnight on the dot both nights I was vomiting. Then, I started a terrible cough early in the week that just wouldn't go away and Vivi seemed to pick it up by the end of the week.

Mommy started me on my albuterol and steroid breathing treatments right away. I had just slowed down and stopped my steroid treatments after doing them for a month straight. Guess we should've never stopped! I also had a fever. We went to the doctor on Valentine's Day for my cough and they said to keep doing the treatments but that was really it. They weren't sure what it was but figured it was viral....a very common diagnosis it seems.

Then, we went back two days later for my fever that kept getting higher each night (over 102.4). That is when the first "bad first" happened....it was pneumonia!! The good news was that I didn't have to be hospitalized. I got to go home with a prescription of z-pack (strong antibiotics) and the promise to continue breathing treatments. It was amazing how quickly the medicine started working....within hours my fever was gone and my cough sounded SOOOO much better.

On Friday (the next day), mommy called the doctor again, this time for Vivi. Her cough was worse and she had a slight fever. For the fear of her also having pneumonia or trying to do anything possible to prevent her from getting there, we went back in (for the third time that week). They checked her ears and YUP, the second "bad first" was diagnosed.....Vivi had her first ear infection....one ear was bad and the other one was on it's way. So, she was sent home with a 10-day prescription of a different antibiotic. Thankfully, it made a huge difference as well.

We had a follow-up appointment for my pneumonia the next Tuesday with Dr. Champley (who I just love, by-the-way). He gave me an all-clear after listening to my recent raspy lungs. Whew! He also took a quick peak at Vivi's ears and could tell the meds were helping. We were definitely ready to get out of the house after that visit, since we had shut ourselves in for a week!

No comments: